The NCSR “Demokritos” conducts world-class basic and applied research, for advancing scientific knowledge and promoting technological development in selected areas of national socio-economic interest. The Center also plays a pivotal role in graduate education and professional training and its unique infrastructure is employed for high-technology services to the Industry and the Society.
Energy Engineering Facilities (non nuclear)
Biological/Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology/Nanotechnology Research Facilities
Nuclear Research Facilities
Physics, Astronomy, Astrophysics and Mathematics
Information Science and Technology
Chemistry and Material Sciences
Biological and Medical Sciences
Physical Sciences and Engineering
Fully equipped laboratory, PCRs, Real Time PCR, Nano-Drop Forma spectrophotometer, DNA, RNA, proteins electrophoresis and visualtization apparatuses, centrifuges, hood etc.
Low temperature X-ray diffraction
- Characterization Measurements of antennas - Measurements / Studies of human exposure to electromagnetic fields - Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) measurements - Radio -coverage measurements / studies for wireless communication systems (e.g. cellular telephony, television etc.) - Field measurements, data acquisition and processing - Development of propagation models regarding wireless systems
500 and 250 MHz NMR spectrometers for routine measurements on 1H, 13C, 15N, 31P and 19F nuclei.
Development of procedures, guidelines and software tools for integrated quantitative risk assessment, technical consultancy services.
Synthesis, Characterization & in-vitro/in-vivo biological evaluation of novel radiolabelled compounds for potential clinical use in Nuclear Medicine. QC of radiopharmaceuticals, including chemical, radiochemical, radionuclidic, radiobiological and radiopharmacological assays in certified Labs under ISO 17025 Small-scale synthesis of active ingredients Clean Room technology expertise for the aseptic production of freeze-dried injectable technetium-99m radiopharmaceuticals for diagnosis
Advanced measurement facilities, high performance solar collectors, solar thermal collectors with nanofluids, measurements and error propagation for measurement devices of complex architectures, statistical processing of measurement data, distillation-desalination systems driven by solar thermal energy, optimization of hot-air mechanical driers, study of flow, heat/mass tranfer phenomena.
Computational Fluid Dynamics platform (CFD), software for patient-specific artery reconstruction from medical images.
The EPETYP Lab in Informatics leverages the multitude of systems, platforms and technologies that have been developed by the two research laboratories of the Division of Intelligent Information Systems of the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications, providing specialized services to third parties and developing partnerships with technology companies.
- Wire Bonding - Design of Application Specific VLSI for detector systems - Multilayer, conventional and flexible, Printed Circuit Board - Reliability and characterization of detector systems
The Electron Microscopy Laboratory is an NCSR 'D' facility. The lab is open for use by students, and staff of NCSR 'D', as well as to commercial entities for industrial users with a need for the analytical services the lab can provide.
- Clean room access - Silicon processing and device fabrication - E-Beam lithography - Ion implantation - Photolithography - Rapid-Thermal annealing tool - Microfluidics - Radiation detectors - Process simulation and software development
- Basic studies for magnetic materials properties - Synthesis of bulk, thin films, nanoparticle and amorphous materials - Fe(Co)Pt nanoparticles - Ultrahigh density magnetic recording media and GMR sensors - Hybrid magnetic/ceramic systems - Spintronics, Spin Torque Sensors and Quantum Magnetic Dots - Nanothermoelectric materials - X-ray diffraction - Surface characterization techniques - Calorymetry - Spectroscopic techniques (Mössbauer, EPR, NMR, NQR / Atomic Force Magnetometer - Magnetic measurements (VSM, SQUID,MFM, Kerr-Magnetometer, PPMS... - Electrical property characterization (DC-AC resistivity, Van Der Pauw resistivity, thermal conductivity, magnetic permeability and dielectric constant.
- Single crystal structure analysis from RT to liquid nitrogen temperature - Powder diffraction - Thin films studies
Maintenance and reproduction of several animal strains Immunizations and antibody production Blood sampling and small operations Counseling and training
Environmental radioactivity monitoring, radioactivity measurements of consumer goods, construction and building materials, elaboration and evaluation of environmental studies.
Modern facilities for air pollution and gas sorption measurements along with powerful computing equipment for data processing.
- Isolation /characterization of stem cells and other cell types from various sources - Products such as matrix proteins and matrix-derived peptides related to regenerative medicine - Specialized assays for cell survival and apoptosis /cell toxicity - Assessment of the quality (antiatherogenic properties) of high-density lipoproteins (HDL)
Confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM or LSCM) is a valuable tool for obtaining high resolution images and 3-D reconstructions. The key feature of confocal microscopy is its ability to produce blur-free images of thick specimens at various depths. Using the appropriate fluorescent probes it allows for intercellular imaging and localization of proteins, macromolecules, and organelles, as well the collocalisation of such entities to reveal biomolecular, biochemical and cellular interactions.
- Evaluation and quality assessment of radioimmunoassay. - Synthesis, purification and physicochemical characterization of 125I radiolabeled compounds - Synthesis, purification and physicochemical characterization of fluorescently or enzyme labeled compounds - Amino acid analysis for the characterization of peptide pharmaceutical compounds according to European Pharmacopoeia - Preparation and calibration of standard solutions for use in immunochemical determinations - Quantitative determination of substances in biological fluids, in food and environmental samples through immunoassay - Purification, isolation and characterization of substances for use as certified reference materials in immunoassays. - Quantitative determination of substances in human serum or in dried blood spots through HPLC-Ms/Ms methods.
- Isolation of primary cultures of normal somatic and mesenchymal stem cells.- - Development of cell-free and cell-based assay systems - Screening and testing natural and synthetic compounds with anti-oxidant/ anti-ageing, anticancer, differentiation and wound healing action.
Circular Dichroism (CD) is a well-established spectroscopic technique widely used for the study of conformation and interactions of biological macromolecules, like peptides, proteins and nucleic acids. Advantages of CD include its high sensitivity -requiring the use of small amount of sample- and its versatility in the fine tuning of experimental conditions.
The Tissue Bank process is fully computerized: donor-patient medical history, batch processing, sterility test results, labeling and financial-stocking documentation.
Radiation physics, nuclear technology, neutron and X-ray scattering techniques for material studies, nuclear analytical techniques, radioisotope production, material irradiation.
Mechanical properties measurements, thermal processing, microwave processing, thermodynamic properties, metallography, wear, wet chemistry laboratory, energy studies.
Spectrophotometry, chromatography, other lab equipment.